If you are undertaking a data migration, then Stephen Covey’s principle of ‘First Things First’ is very appropriate for fixing those data quality issues before any migration is performed.
From our experience most data migrations involve some data quality work before migration.
I recall one particular deployment that was rolled out smoothly and the application was a significant improvement on the previous one. The users were very keen to learn the new application, but the first two records in the accounts view showed a duplicate company beginning with ‘A’.
The focus turned very quickly onto the problem data and all the good work for the application became a secondary issue.
Don’t let poor data affect your reputation; it’s hard enough for new systems to be adopted smoothly.
If you are undertaking a data migration then here are some frequently asked questions that you may find useful. If you would like our answers to these then please reply to the email at the end of the article and we will send you the document.
- How do I get my data in and out of my application?
- How do you merge duplicate accounts and/or contacts?
- My database has 100s of tables, is it possible to handle this?
- How can we enhance our data for better profiling?
- Is there a difference in the process for B2B and B2C data?
- How do I measure the data quality results?
- How do I add new contacts/account to my database?
- Can you merge data from different sources?
If you would like further information on Data Migration FAQ and for answers to the above questions contact Acuate:
|Telephone:||+44 (0) 20 8799 0360|